[Lava-users] Fastboot - Android boot image apply-overlay

Senthil Kumaran S senthil.kumaran at linaro.org
Wed Nov 15 04:01:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Tuesday 14 November 2017 11:36 PM, Anibal Limon wrote:
> The Android boot image can be modified using abootimg, for example:
>
> $ abootimg -x boot.img
> $ abootimg-extract-unpack-initrd
> $ tar -xvzf overlay-5.2.4.tgz -C ramdisk
> $ abootimg-extract-pack-initrd
> $ abootimg -u boot.img -r init.rd
>
> Currently i can execute a test shell into LXC to make the extraction of
> the boot image [1][2], the issue i have is that the test overlay tarball
> (for example: overlay-5.2.4.tgz), isn't available because the creation
> is handled after the LXC pipeline by deploy action to the target device
> [3][4].

Yes you are right, this is not implemented yet.

> Any feedback would be appreciate.

Currently we support a simple update to the boot image as in
https://git.linaro.org/lava-team/refactoring.git/tree/health-checks/dragonboard-820c.yaml#n83

This will be possible once we have an implementation in place for
https://projects.linaro.org/browse/LAVA-815 - I ve added this discussion
to the card.

Another possibility is to implement an extension of "apply-overlay"
which will put the overlay inside the ramdisk after identifying it is a
"Android bootimg"

Having said that LAVA-815 should be rewritten with the above idea of
extending "apply-overlay" image rather than to get rid of installing
android-tools, since
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=848852 is fixed as of now.

Thank You.
--