[Lava-users] Fastboot - Android boot image apply-overlay

Anibal Limon anibal.limon at linaro.org
Wed Nov 15 15:36:06 UTC 2017

On 14 November 2017 at 22:01, Senthil Kumaran S <senthil.kumaran at linaro.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 14 November 2017 11:36 PM, Anibal Limon wrote:
> > The Android boot image can be modified using abootimg, for example:
> >
> > $ abootimg -x boot.img
> > $ abootimg-extract-unpack-initrd
> > $ tar -xvzf overlay-5.2.4.tgz -C ramdisk
> > $ abootimg-extract-pack-initrd
> > $ abootimg -u boot.img -r init.rd
> >
> > Currently i can execute a test shell into LXC to make the extraction of
> > the boot image [1][2], the issue i have is that the test overlay tarball
> > (for example: overlay-5.2.4.tgz), isn't available because the creation
> > is handled after the LXC pipeline by deploy action to the target device
> > [3][4].
>
> Yes you are right, this is not implemented yet.
>
> > Any feedback would be appreciate.
>
> Currently we support a simple update to the boot image as in
> https://git.linaro.org/lava-team/refactoring.git/tree/
> health-checks/dragonboard-820c.yaml#n83
>
> This will be possible once we have an implementation in place for
> https://projects.linaro.org/browse/LAVA-815 - I ve added this discussion
> to the card.

Ok, do you have any specific target to get this functionality in LAVA?

> Another possibility is to implement an extension of "apply-overlay"
> which will put the overlay inside the ramdisk after identifying it is a
> "Android bootimg"

I recently implement two extensions in apply-overlay one to support
non-sparsed Android rootfs images [1] and
other one to apply-overlay to an Android boot image [2].

Cheers,
Anibal

[1] https://review.linaro.org/#/c/21801/
[2] https://review.linaro.org/#/c/22019/