[Lava-users] error while executing LAVA power on script

Neil Williams neil.williams at linaro.org
Thu Nov 16 08:20:30 UTC 2017

On 16 November 2017 at 08:13, Philippe BEGNIC <philippe.begnic at st.com>
wrote:

> Hello Lava team,
>
> We have implemented new scripts to support flashing in our "power on"
> script.
> This script manage the PDU, boot pins configuration of the board and an
> external ST flasher.
>
> At the beginning of the job, the "power on" script is launched.
> Then  I got the following  error message  <line way too long ...> .

It's just too long to be reliably logged, there are plenty of situations
where boards get into a state that constantly emits characters and this is
a safeguard to stop the logs becoming unmanageable at times like that.

> This cause the execution script to be interrupted

This is only in the logging - the message is not the cause of the script
being interrupted. The script is executing, this is only some
post-processing of the output. However, it's quite possible that something
else is going wrong but being hidden in that long line.

> , but the job is not interrupted and can continue without flashing the
> board.
> I do not have any additional logs regarding this error on the LAVA web
> interface.
>
> Our power on script is composed of several scripts that are "chained",
> script power on call another script,
> that call another one.

Arrangements like that can get very hard to triage. I would suggest that
the scripts are combined into one script that does all the error checking
of each component. Make use of the available scripting languages and choose
the language which is best able to detect and handle the errors, not simply
the one used by the current scripts. Make the output verbose. It is much
easier to debug afterwards if all the information is available without
needing to reproduce the original problem.

> Do you have an idea about this error ?
>
> *Details **c**oncerning our configuration **:*
>
> * we use LAVA V2 ( version 06/2017 ).
> * our jobs are pipelined jobs ( LAVA V2)
> * Lava server // dispatcher are installed through dockers.
>
> BR
>
> Philippe

Neil Williams
neil.williams at linaro.org