[Lava-users] booting from USB thumb drive

Hussin, Mohamad Noor Alim mohamad.noor.alim.hussin at intel.com
Wed Aug 8 13:38:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

I using LAVA version 2018.5-post1 to boot from USB thumb drive using Yocto Project's image. The LAVA job definition contain 2 deployments and booting actions. The first deployment is deploy the image to NFS server and boot using TFTP method. The second deployment is download an image to DUT and flash it on USB thumb drive. The DUT was able to download the image however it failed at flash to thumb drive. I'm use dd command as my tool to flash the image. Below is an example on lava-job definition and output message from LAVA. Due to this issue, I unable to boot from USB thumb drive. Did anyone know what is the problem?

Snipped code from lava-job definition to deploy on USB thumb drive
- deploy:
    timeout:
      minutes: 30
    to: usb
    image:
      url: file:///home/user/image/yocto-image.xz
                  compression: xz
      root_partition: 1
    device: 'boot'
    download:
      tool: '/usr/bin/wget'
      prompt: 'HTTP request sent, awaiting response...'
    os: oe

The command from LAVA
wget http://lavadisptcher.com/tmp/storage/image/yocto-image.xz | dd of=/dev/disk/by-id/<myusbthumdriveid> bs=4M

This is the output message form LAVA after download flash the image
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes copied

Regards,