[Lava-users] How to rename a devicetype (and deprecate the old one)

Neil Williams neil.williams at linaro.org
Tue Aug 28 06:17:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 09:35, LABBE Corentin <clabbe at baylibre.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a cubietruck in LAVA, but its devicetype does not follow the rule
> "devicetype should be the same as devicetree name".

That isn't a rule imposed by LAVA, some labs choose to do it that way. The
DeviceType name can be anything which is unique to the instance - a
cubietruck could just as easily be a DeviceType A20 or Allwinner20 or cubie
etc.

As long as the device dictionary extends the correct device-type Jinja2
file, everything is fine.

> Diverting from this rule, make difficult to find if the device is already
> handled by LAVA.
> I have lots of other boards which suffer the same problem (odroid-xu3 for
> example)
>
> Do you already have a process for renaming devicetype ?

It's not recommended because the new device-type is a new database object,
it's a bit like starting again at job #1.

> If not, why about duplicating to the correct name (sun7i-a20-cubietruck)
> and adding some tags (comment like "{# set deprecated = true}") to the old
> one.

A single DUT can only be a single DeviceType, as set in the device
dictionary.

The DeviceType is only a database object, it has no effect on how tests are
run - that is all down to the extends line of the device dictionary. You
aren't proposing to change the instructions for how to run tests on the
DUT, so there's no need for a new device-type.

Use aliases.

https://staging.validation.linaro.org/static/docs/v2/glossary.html#term-alias

> The deprectation warning could be printed by the LAVA web interface like
> the warning about not having health checks.
> After some release, the deprecated devicetype could be removed.
>
> Regards

Neil Williams
neil.williams at linaro.org
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/