[Lava-users] In which config file is described the path of uboot and kernel image or qemu?

Neil Williams neil.williams at linaro.org
Tue Aug 28 07:13:55 UTC 2018

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 10:10, ljh_dev <ljh_dev at 126.com> wrote:

> Through web admin interface,I had added qemu device,and web devices list
> can display qemu device. It seems qemu device had startuped ok.
> We know that if  linux device startup successfully it must included uboot
> and kernel image.  But where are the  uboot image and kernel image of qemu ?

Don't confuse U-Boot and QEMU - these are radically different
implementations. You cannot simply transfer U-Boot instructions to QEMU or
vice versa.

> In which config file is described the path of uboot  and kernel image?

For QEMU, the path to the image file(s) comes only from the test job and
all arguments to complete the QEMU command line to be able to boot that
image also need to come from the test job, sometimes using the job context.
Using QEMU for ARM boots is NOT trivial, it can take a lot of trial and
error to get the right command line to QEMU. We have Aarch64 QEMU examples
but actual QEMU testing of ARM kernels which would typically be used with
U-Boot is a long task that requires quite a bit of knowledge of the QEMU
command line options.

The LAVA documentation advises starting with QEMU using the standard
(x86_64) images because these are the simplest to run in QEMU. This allows
you to become familiar with how the LAVA UI operates and how to administer
the instance. The differences between QEMU and any other DUT based test job
(not just U-Boot) are too large to expect to use QEMU as an alternative to
U-Boot for the same image files, in most cases.

--

Neil Williams
neil.williams at linaro.org
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/